We were invited as the Meadows campaign to speak at an informal meeting on Thurs 17th July at Ullet Road Unitarian Church. New Green Party councillor for Greenbank Ward, Lawrence Brown, wanted local people to come and meet him informally – and hear from the Meadows, which he described as ‘one of the most important doorstep issues’ in Greenbank, helping him gain election for the first time.
The meeting was lively and well attended. Meadows campaigners were led by local Avenues resident Janet Pell. Cllr Brown was joined by another new Green Party councillor Tom Crone from St Michael’s Ward, who will now sit on the Council Regeneration Committee – the key group that was supposed to scrutinise green space sell off. Both pledged their continuing support to stop this heritage greenspace in Sefton Park being sold for housing. We also met a student at Hope University who is writing his dissertation on the Meadows as part of his Environmental Management degree. People filled in questionnaires to support his survey work.
Sincere thanks to Angela, Hilary and the great people at the Unitarian Church.
HOW YOU CAN HELP NOW
1. We believe strongly that Redrow Homes are the preferred developer. We want people to contact Redrow – and their Chief Executive Steve Morgan to ask him to confirm or deny, and say why they object to housing on this beautiful and unique part of Sefton Park.
Redrow House, St David’s Park, Ewloe, Flintshire, CH5 3RX
01244 520044 /01244 545655
email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also write to Nick Kavanagh and Joe Anderson to ask the same question. email@example.com liverpool.gov.uk/contact-us/contact-the-mayor
Ask them to CONFIRM OR DENY!
2. We need to fundraise £1,500 to pay for professional legal and planning advice. Redrow will submit a planning application for the Meadows in early September, and we need to be ready. We are starting to draft our submissions BUT WE NEED PROFESSIONAL HELP. And this will cost us money! Please donate using our PAYPAL button lower down this page. Share this on your own Facebook & Twitter Accounts.
3. Our government e-petition is open to AUGUST 2ND to ask for future planning approval to be called in for an independent review. SIGN UP NOW AND HELP US GET PROPER SCRUTINY OF THE COUNCIL’S SELL OFF. http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/53216
4. English Heritage will have a major influence on any Planning Application. They will be a Formal Consultee and give an opinion on the impact of housing development. Contact English Heritage and tell them how much you value the Meadows as part of Grade 1 listed Sefton Park. firstname.lastname@example.org
5. FLASH MOB EVENTS. We need a group of enthusiastic people to come to the Meadows at short notice to protest. CAN YOU HELP? Contact Martin Dobson on 07930 760868 facebook.com/saveseftonparkmeadows
6. A new STATE OF UK PUBLIC PARKS REPORT by Heritage Lottery has been published in June. IT MAKES GRIM READING. Parks & Greenspaces will be lost, or slowly decline due to cuts in budgets to local authorities. Northwest parks are the worst hit in the country. CONTACT HERITAGE LOTTERY to complain that public money they have invested is now being wasted and their great work in Liverpool is being lost. Tell them about the current threats to Sefton Park Meadows and Woolton Woods. Sara Hilton is Head of Heritage Lottery NorthWest. NorthWest@hlf.org.uk
Please, let us know what actions you are taking to stop the Meadows being sold off. Time is critical now and we need all the help we can muster! Leave a comment or message on this website or post on Facebook. THANKS.